Social security contributions for expats could double in a no deal Brexit

HMRC has issued a no deal EU Exit Employer Bulletin (EB) with guidance on a range of issues facing businesses and citizens if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

The topics go wider than employer-related issues, and cover the following topics.

Social security contributions for expat employees

Employees who have left the UK to work in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland may have to pay social security contributions both here in the UK and also in the country in which they work. HMRC has published new guidance on this, Social security contributions for UK and EU workers if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.

This guidance may not necessarily apply in all cases as social security agreements that were superseded by EU legislation, but which have not been formally cancelled, would automatically come back into force

UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number Business that trade exclusively with continental Europe will experience changes to the way they import/export. There are steps that need to be taken to prepare, one of which is to register for a UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number

Grants available for IT and training

The government is making available grants for IT and training for customs intermediaries and businesses who would need to complete their own customs declarations

Resettlement scheme EB includes an update on the government’s settlement scheme which applies to employees from the EU

Chemicals This article will be of interest to those who use chemicals.