Non-resident pages for self-assessment tax returns

I am currently overseas on secondment and trying to complete my tax return obligations in the UK for a year in which we were non-resident for the whole tax year.  We have small amounts of interest and rental income (but overall a loss) which I have included in the return.  However, I'm struggling on HMRC's self assessment system to understand how I show my non-resident status.  I believe its the SA109 form but am I correct in understanding that its not possible to use this form in their system and therefore you can't submit your return without a tax agent or access to commercial software?  To force you to use an agent just to get a simple tick box form into your return seems at odds with simplification and helping people to do their own returns.  Can anybody tell me whether I can submit the form myself or do I have no choice but to pay someone just to get this form?  Thanks
No Data
  • PS  I wonder if a fourth option could be used as a work-around: complete the non-residence pages on paper, scan them and attach them as a pdf to the return which you have completed online (I think the free HMRC product allows attachments) or alternatively in the 'additional information' section of the online return state that you wanted to submit the residence pages but they were not available, then list out the box numbers that you would have completed and what would have been put in them.  I can't guarantee that this approach is acceptable to HMRC but it doesn't seem unreasonable in the circumstances.
No Data